Re: [GENERAL] Optimizations for busy DB?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brian
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Optimizations for busy DB??
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Optimizations for busy DB??  (Kevin Heflin <kheflin@shreve.net>)
Re: [GENERAL] Optimizations for busy DB??  (Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop@spaceheater.infoplease.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 13 May 1999, Brett W. McCoy wrote:

> On Thu, 13 May 1999, Brian wrote:
>
> > We are running a Database that is having between 100-500 simultaneous
> > accesses at any given time.  Are their any flags, switches or
> > optimizations on the postgres level that can be done?  such as options
> > passed to postgres etc?  We run 6.3.2, and start it like:
> >
> > su postgres -c '/usr/bin/postmaster -i -S -D/var/lib/pgsql
>
> I usually pass back -F -B 256 to the backend (using -o with postmaster).
> -F turns off the fsync, and speeds up writes significantly (especially
> useful for bulk copies and updates).  However, if your system crashes in
> the middle of a transaction, you can lose data.  The -B sets the number
> of 8k buffers.  It defaults to 64, but if you have more memory, crank
> that number up.  For sorts, -S can be used to specify how much memory to
> use (in 1k chunks) before disk files are used.  The default is 512, but
> again, if you have the memory to spare, jack that guy up and see how well
> it works.  Make sure you preface these backend options with -o, since the
> postmaster has its own options distinct from the backend.  Your complete
> invocation might look like
>
> postmaster -i -S -D/var/lib/pgsql -o -F -B 256 -S 1024

ok, so specifying -B etc to the postmaster itself has no advantages?  I
mean I guess you wouldn't want/need to specify those optimizations to both
postgres backend AND the postmaster?

I will give it all a shot, appreciate the help.

> Experiment and see what works.
>
> Oh, yeah, you should upgrade to 6.4.2!

I am assuming I will have to export all my data and reimport into 6.4.2,
which is a task for sure............I will make this jump soon when I have
some downtime.

> Brett W. McCoy
>                                          http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy
> The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.
>         -- Oscar Wilde

Brian Feeny (BF304)     signal@shreve.net
318-222-2638 x 109    http://www.shreve.net/~signal
Network Administrator   ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881)