Re: [GENERAL] Optimizations for busy DB?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brett W. McCoy
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Optimizations for busy DB??
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Optimizations for busy DB??  (Brian <signal@shreve.net>)
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 13 May 1999, Brian wrote:

> ok, so specifying -B etc to the postmaster itself has no advantages?  I
> mean I guess you wouldn't want/need to specify those optimizations to both
> postgres backend AND the postmaster?

Actually, you're right -- you only want to pass -B to the backend if you
are running it standalone, otherwise use the postmaster option.  Note,
though that passing -S to the postmaster is a different option than
passing -S to the backend (postmaster recognizes -S as 'silent mode'
whereas the backend recognizes -S as the sort allocation).  Check the man
pages for the specifics.  Just remember that the postmaster has its own
options while postgres (the actual backend) has its own options distinct
from the postmaster.

> I am assuming I will have to export all my data and reimport into 6.4.2,
> which is a task for sure............I will make this jump soon when I have
> some downtime.

Good project for a long weekend!

Brett W. McCoy
                                         http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy
"If the King's English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for
me!"
        -- "Ma" Ferguson, Governor of Texas (circa 1920)