Re: Small SSL-related patch... - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Dominic J. Eidson
Subject Re: Small SSL-related patch...
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> (I thought I sent this before but my email has been shaky lately.) IMHO,
> it is not the task of the `--with-<package>' options to account for
> unusual installation paths on the build machine. We have --with-includes
> and --with-libraries for that, and we already rejected various other
> attempts to add more spellings of that. Now this patch doesn't actually
> add any options but it still opens a can of worms. Normal installation
> procedures (including that of OpenSSL!) install into PREFIX/lib and
> PREFIX/include, and I don't think that adding various other subsidary
> algorithms of finding the required files, in locations that are not
> sanctioned by the package in question, is going to do a lot of good.

The only reason I did this, was because it made sense to me to be able to
do things like downloading the OpenSSL tarball, ./configure'ing and
make'ing OpenSSL (without doing a "make install", and then compiling PG
with --with-openssl, to get the SSL support. Of course this also assumed
that libpq would compile in openssl statically, so that libpq-wit-openssl
could function as drop-in replacement for the old libpq-without-openssl.
It seems this isn't the case, since I ended up getting unresolved symbol
errors for several SSL_* functions... Not sure if it was intended to do a
drop-in (w/o having to recompile applications, just replace libpq and
restart) or not.

FWIV, feel free to back out the patch.

--
Dominic J. Eidson