Bug? - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Sean Kelly
Subject Bug?
Date
List pgsql-bugs
                        POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name        : Sean Kelly
Your email address    : S.Kelly@newcastle.ac.uk

System Configuration
---------------------
  Architecture (example: Intel Pentium)      : Intel Pentium (133MHz)

  Operating System (example: Linux 2.0.26 ELF)     : Linux 2.0.38 ELF

  PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-7.0):   PostgreSQL-7.0.2

  Compiler used (example:  gcc 2.8.0)        : gcc version 2.7.2.3

  I am attempting to do a new installation of PostgreSQL 7.0.2 (although
this problem also occured with 7.0.0).

  I follow the doc INSTALL exactly, but I have a problem when trying to
start the postmaster backend.  I get the following error on executing
"/home/postgres/bin/postmaster -D /home/postgres/data":

---[ Cut ]---
IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument) key=5432010, size=144, permission=700
This type of error is usually caused by an improper
shared memory or System V IPC semaphore configuration.
For more information, see the FAQ and platform-specific
FAQ's in the source directory pgsql/doc or on our
web site at http://www.postgresql.org.
IpcMemoryIdGet: shmget failed (Invalid argument) key=5432010, size=144, permission=0
IpcMemoryAttach: shmat failed (Invalid argument) id=-2
FATAL 1:  AttachSLockMemory: could not attach segment

    My kernel has been compiled with "System V IPC" selected.

    PostgreSQL 6.5.3 has been compiled and ran on this system.

Please describe a way to repeat the problem.   Please try to provide a
  By following the doc INSTALL through again, the same problem occurs on
trying to start the postmaster backend.

If you know how this problem might be fixed, list the solution below:
  [None]