Re: Diferent databases on same query... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Thomas Good
Subject Re: Diferent databases on same query...
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Horst,
>
> > There are many more good reasons to do so. Example from my own
> > domain,
> > medicine:
> > Thus, we have multiple databases on multiple servers all depending on
> > each
> > other.
>
> Your reasons all make sense.  What you need is not inter-database
> queries but a robust middleware layer, such as J2EE.   Your sort of
> situation is why middleware exists.

Josh,

I'm pretty sure Horst does this already - check out GNU Med.
(Hallo Horst, Viele Gr�sse aus New York.  ;-)
I guess the problem is that the procedural language mentioned in
the original post has a few hurdles yet to manage.

BTW, I do this (within the context of very small scripts) using
perl DBI.  It is cake with Perl.  And - your code is relatively
portable.  Aside from certain Oracle idiosyncracies of course
(NVL, DECODE, SYSDATE...)

> If GreatBridge was still around, I'd reccommend you contact them, as I
> knwo they implemented a solution for your sort of situation.  However, I
> don't know who'd do it now.

What about RedHat?  Are they working on this?

Dieter (Simader) of SQL Ledger also does this sort of thing within
his product (which uses perl dbi): www.sql-ledger.org

Cheers

Thomas Good                          tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
Programmer/Analyst                              Phone:  718-818-5528
Behavioral Health Services                      Fax:    718-818-5056
Residential Services                            Mobile: 917-282-7359
/*         Rekordmeister ist nur der FC Bayern M�nchen!           */