Re: [GENERAL] Getting total records in result set - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brett W. McCoy
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Getting total records in result set
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Mike Frisch wrote:

> What is the easiest (and least system intensive) method of getting the
> total number of records in the result set?  I am presently opening the
> cursor, doing a FETCH ALL, reading PQntuples(), closing the cursor, and
> reopening it for the 'real' work.
>
> Background:  I am writing a CGI script that paginates the output from an
> SQL query and need to know a total number of records to calculate the
> number of pages to display.
>
> Is what I am going correct or is there a better way?

If you create a view with SQL, then do 'select count(*) from <viewname>',
you can just read the first (and only) row from THAT query.  Can you then
create your cursor from the view?

Brett W. McCoy
                                        http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy/
What garlic is to food, insanity is to art.