Getting total records in result set - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Frisch
Subject Getting total records in result set
Date
List pgsql-general
What is the easiest (and least system intensive) method of getting the
total number of records in the result set?  I am presently opening the
cursor, doing a FETCH ALL, reading PQntuples(), closing the cursor, and
reopening it for the 'real' work.

Background:  I am writing a CGI script that paginates the output from an
SQL query and need to know a total number of records to calculate the
number of pages to display.

Is what I am going correct or is there a better way?

Thanks,

Mike.

  Mike Frisch                         Email: mfrisch@saturn.tlug.org
  Northstar Technologies        WWW: http://saturn.tlug.org/~mfrisch