Re: [SQL] Performance - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Brett W. McCoy
Subject Re: [SQL] Performance
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Tim Perdue wrote:

> Some time back I sent out a message asking if PGSQL would be able to handle
> my mailing list archive at http://www.geocrawler.com/ , and whether it would
> scale up to 100MB.
>
> BELIEVE IT OR NOT, PostgreSQL is handling 1.8GB in just one table, and its
> performance is amazing. I have archived 1,100,000 emails in the database and
> I don't really see much slowdown yet.
>
> I'm just stunned at how well this is working, and I keep pushing myself to
> find more and more mail archives to add to my database.
>
> It's fun! Check out the linux/freebsd/etc mail archives at geocrawler.com

Yeah, I've got a database I'm still putting together, several tables of
which have over 2 million rows.  It's returning queries in under 30
seconds or so, in most cases.  You just gotta make sure you have you
indices set up properly.

Brett W. McCoy
                                        http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy/
Losing your drivers' license is just God's way of saying "BOOGA, BOOGA!"