Re: [SQL] Finding strings inside a field... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Brett W. McCoy
Subject Re: [SQL] Finding strings inside a field...
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Dan Delaney wrote:

> I want to be able do a SELECT and search for a string INSIDE OF a
> field. So, say I want to get all record in testtable which contain
> the word "foobar" inside the "description" attribute. The following
> will only get those records in which the "description" attribute
> contains ONLY the word "foobar":
>
> SELECT FROM testtable WHERE description='foobar';
>
> What do I need to do to get all the record that have "foobar"
> ANYWHERE within the "description" field?

You'll want to use the LIKE operator, with '%' and '_' used as wildcard
operators similar to '*' and '?' used in the Unix CLI.

SELECT * from MyDB WHERE DESCRIPTION LIKE "%foobar%";

Brett W. McCoy
                                        http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy/
"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
   -- The UNIX Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June, 1972