Finding strings inside a field... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Dan Delaney
Subject Finding strings inside a field...
Date
Re: [SQL] Finding strings inside a field...  ("Brett W. McCoy" <bmccoy@lan2wan.com>)
List pgsql-sql
Hello all.
   Could any one tell me if the following is possible using
PostgreSQL?

I want to be able do a SELECT and search for a string INSIDE OF a
field. So, say I want to get all record in testtable which contain
the word "foobar" inside the "description" attribute. The following
will only get those records in which the "description" attribute
contains ONLY the word "foobar":

SELECT FROM testtable WHERE description='foobar';

What do I need to do to get all the record that have "foobar"
ANYWHERE within the "description" field?
   Thanks a lot.
 --Dan

 Daniel G. Delaney                    The Louisville Times Chorus
 Dionysos@Dionysia.org                   www.LouisvilleTimes.org
 www.Dionysia.org/~dionysos/          Dionysia Design
 ICQ Number: 8171285                     www.Dionysia.com/design/
                   I doubt, therefore I might be.