Re: [GENERAL] datatype questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brian
Subject Re: [GENERAL] datatype questions
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Antonio Garcia Mari wrote:

> Ok, you're porting phorum to postgres. I've done the work before.

well I was going to but...............

> http://www.at4.net/phorum

since you have already done the work :)

> Check the download page to get the sources.

Brian Moon caught wind what I was going to do, and told me it would be
wise to holdoff since a database independent version is going to be out
soon.

Thanks for the help.

> And this is the sql for the table you want to create:
>

> CREATE SEQUENCE forum_id_s INCREMENT 1 START 1;
> CREATE TABLE forum (
>   id int4 DEFAULT nextval('forum_id_s') NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
>   name varchar(30),
>   email varchar(100),
>   topic varchar(50),
>   body text,
>   host varchar(50),
>   thread int4 DEFAULT 0 NOT NULL,
>   datestamp datetime DEFAULT 'now()' NOT NULL
> );
>
> > On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, Brian wrote:
> >
> > > I am trying to convert a table into PostgresSQL from MySQL, and had a few
> > > questions:
> > >
> > > CREATE TABLE forum (
> > >   id int(11) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL auto_increment,
> > >   name varchar(30),
> > >   email varchar(100),
> > >   topic varchar(50),
> > >   body blob,
> > >   host varchar(50),
> > >   thread int(11) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL,
> > >   datestamp datetime DEFAULT '0000-00-00 00:00:00' NOT NULL,
> > >   KEY datestamp (datestamp),
> > >   PRIMARY KEY (id),
> > >   KEY thread (thread)
> > > );
> > >
> > > 1. Where in the documentation can you look to find what "modifiers" are
> > > supported by postgres after the declaration of the field.  such as NOT
> > > NULL, PRIMARY KEY, KEY, DEFAULT, UNIQUE, etc.  I call them modifiers but
> > > what are they really called?
> >
> > Please, check PostgreSQL manual pages.
> > Also, there are HTMLized version  of mans on the Web:
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/man/
> > What do you exactly need:  create_table(l) , create_sequence(l) and
> > create_index(l) pages.
> >
> > Aleksey.
> >

> Antonio Garcia Mari
> Mallorca (Spain)

| Brian Feeny                | USR TC Hubs | ShreveNet Inc. (318)222-2638  |
| Network Administrator      | Perl, Linux | Web hosting, online stores,   |
| ShreveNet Inc.             |  USR Pilot  | Dial-Up 14.4-56k, ISDN & LANs |
| 89 CRX DX w/MPFI, lots of  |-=*:Quake:*=-| http://www.shreve.net/        |
| mods/Homepage coming soon  |LordSignal/SN| Quake server: 208.206.76.47   |