Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL too heavy startup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Amos Hayes
Subject Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL too heavy startup
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Igor Sysoev wrote:

> I'm using P-100, 32M, 128M swap, FreeBSD 2.2.5-STABLE, Apache-1.2.6,
> perl 5.004_4, PostgreSQL-v6.3.2.
> One of CGI scripts makes select from database. When I try to quickly
> reload this script about 20 times in browser the FreeBSD starts to heavy
> swapping. I'd appled patch to remove exec() from startup code. It seems
> that nothing changed.
> Is there way to make more lighter startup ?

I have used a combination of the following to achieve quick CGI response
from the DB with little modification to existing CGI code:

FastCGI (http://www.fastcgi.com/) and mod_fcgi for Apache
(http://www.apache.org/)

Perl (http://www.perl.com), compiled with the sfio extensions
(http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local//src/misc/sfio97.src.unix.tar.gz)

DBI (http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local//modules/by-module/DBI/) and
appropriate DBD (http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local//modules/by-module/DBD/)

CGI.pm
(http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local//modules/by-module/CGI/)

The only drawback that I've noticed is that each script you run consumes a
fair bit of memory. Assuming you've got lots of RAM, it's *much* faster
than trying to fire up databased scripts on a per request basis. There are
other ways of doing things which may make better use of resources (like
mod_perl & DBI) but the FastCGI method can help you get around some sticky
issues when you have a bunch of existing scripts.

--
Amos Hayes                      Systems Architect
ahayes@ingenia.com            Ingenia Group - Software Kinetics Ltd.

"Remember: No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
   - ELEANOR ROOSEVELT