Re: [GENERAL] Not about LOGOs this time... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Good
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Not about LOGOs this time...
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Not about LOGOs this time...  (Bruce Tong <zztong@laxmi.ev.net>)
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Bruce Tong wrote:

> > > I have noticed this list has not provided effective support to PostgreSQL
> > > beginners - not just myself, but others.
> >     What exactly is "effective support"?
> I have noticed a number of seemingly beginning questions go unanswered.
> Perhaps they were answered by direct mail. If so, I stand corrected.

Bruce - I have, being generally obnoxious and pushy, asked for a newbie
list for people like me-self: slow on the uptake but persistent.
I have heard nothing back, except from Jose who liked the idea and
apparently was willing to serve as a dispenser of info (which he does
very well.)

I would love such a list and would be willing to do whatever it takes,
workwise, to make it a reality.  Scrappy!?  Is this possible?

> >     How many ppl actually read the documentation before posting the
> I can't answer that, and you know it. In my case, I've read everything I
> can find. I just got v6.3.2 so maybe theres a few I haven't found yet. If
> I ask a question answered in the docs, please point it out, just don't
> ignore the question. I'm happy to do the research.

I read and re=read and even re-read but have had to basically d.i.y.
except for some help from Tom (Linux questions) and Michael (major source
of help for ecpg.)  My questions are painfully-newbie and belong on a
separate list...

> >     Lists are meant to be "self-help"...my general day right now is
> > spent, more often then not, scanning through the subjects, reading those
> I understand, and I'm not picking on a specific person here. I know that's
> the way it is. Perhaps I'm spoiled by other lists.

I'm willing to work!  Dang it - I'm willing to help. Bruce, you willing
to help if we can convince pgsql.org to let it transpire?

> > > easier. At this point, early in my PostgreSQL experience, I would say
> > > documentation is your weak suit.
> >     Have you looked at what is included in v6.3.2?
>
> Yes. As I said before, I've read everything I can find. That doesn't mean
> it all made sense at first to me or that there aren't holes. This is my
> first foray into SQL databases and database administration and I'm certain
> I'm missing all sorts of details.

Bruce - I have a tgz file that you can download if you're interested
in what I have been able to do with perl/pgsql:
www.panix.com/~ugd

It's primitive but it works...there is a readme and links to archives
(for perl modules), examples of code, and so on...handy stuff.
Let me know if I can help in any way!

Cheers,
Tom

        User Guide Dog Database Project