Hey Bruce - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Good
Subject Hey Bruce
Date
List pgsql-general
> At 12:12 AM 6/1/98, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> Users, we need to hear from you on this, and why you chose to use
> PostgreSQL.  We don't need people foaming at the mouth, but we do need
> our users to give use good visibility and publicity.

Bruce,

I'm looking to deploy PostgreSQL in a real environment (well, if
one considers Psychiatry a real environment ;-)

The tentative go-live date is 01 OCT 1998.  I am replacing
            UnixWare 2.1.2 and Progress 7.3A09
                            with
  Slackware 3.4, PostgreSQL 6.3.2 (or 6.4 ;-) and Perl 5.004.

Why?  $8k for 25 users/1 developer for PROGRESS.  And they adamantly
refuse to port to Linux.  (And I've had enough of SCO...)  But it's
not just money.  Progress (at least version 7) only supports 2 of
the 3 SQL subsets (they have a proprietary interface that replaces
DCL, oh, and you can't use the 4GL on tables created by SQL DDL.)
And Progress only adheres to the 1989 ANSI std (ouch).

I know alot of Progress users who hesitate to jump ship (despite no
great love for Progress' prices and clumsy account adminstration)
due to fondness for the 4GL.

Edmund Mergl has solved that problem.  DBI::DBD-Pg makes Perl into a
virtual 4GL.  (Bad pun intended.)  And of course, Michael Meskes is
creating a valuable tool in ecpg.   libpq eludes me but perl is cake.
And so I can have my great engine and a nice (and very portable)
interface.

BTW, I am an exhibitor at PC Expo at the Javitts Centre the
week of 15 June - if you want any literature dispensed.
Incidentally, I will be tabling with a partner organization:
The National Cristina Foundation.  We are both non-profits and
are going to PC Expo to solicit donated hardware...so we have
no problem with supporting another dot-org.

Cheers,
Tom

        User Guide Dog Database Project
  Project Coordinator:  Peter J. Puckall <ppuckall@cableregina.com>