Re: [HACKERS] PostGreSQL v6.2.1 for Linux Alpha - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ryan Kirkpatrick
Subject Re: [HACKERS] PostGreSQL v6.2.1 for Linux Alpha
Date
List pgsql-hackers
    Good grief! I don't check my email for a few days a fire fight
over getting pgsql on Linux/Alpha ensues! :)
    Jeff Strum has been doing some extensive work (quietly) on getting
Linux/Alpha to run. He has gotten initdb to finish successfully and the
regression tests are partially successful. I haven't had time to test
things for myself, but things look promsing. Apparently there was a
compiler define that should have been enabled, but was not due to
different naming conventions for Linux/Alpha. Attached is the patch he
sent me, that I have not had a chance to test yet.
    For the future, he plans to track down and clean up the warnings
about casting from different pointer sizes and such. I plan to help
(mainly testing) as much as I can, but I am quite busy, and I am pretty
sure he is too.
    As for you, Kenji, (not to be a jerk, but instead a reality
check) just calm down and be patient, or jump in and
help us (i.e. email Jeff and ask him what you can do to help, or get a
new version of pgsql, apply the patch included in this email, and report
back to us what happens). Nothing gets done by people continously asking
for something to be done. And anyway, porting to the alpha, a 64bit
architecture is not simple to say the very least. Add to that, a very
large (I think 100k+ lines of code has been stated before) and powerful
database to port, and things reach the near impossible point. We will get
it figured out in due time, but we don't have 50 programmers working away
at this all day long. Then again, you are not paying anything for the
database. So I think things are fair. :)
    I will try and keep everyone updated a bit more regularly to head
off fire fights like these. Thanks, and talk to you all later.

PS. Kenji, where did you get that pgsql would be running on Linux/Alpha in
Jan '98? I have never seen any such projected date!

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                     |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)    |
|  Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  | rkirkpat@nag.cs.colorado.edu  |
|               http://www-ugrad.cs.colorado.edu/~rkirkpat/                |

Attachment