Re: [HACKERS] PostGreSQL v6.2.1 for Linux Alpha - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kenji T. Hollis
Subject Re: [HACKERS] PostGreSQL v6.2.1 for Linux Alpha
Date
Re: [HACKERS] PostGreSQL v6.2.1 for Linux Alpha  (Ryan Kirkpatrick <rkirkpat@nag.cs.colorado.edu>)
List pgsql-hackers
Ryan:

>     As for you, Kenji, (not to be a jerk, but instead a reality
> check) just calm down and be patient, or jump in and
> help us (i.e. email Jeff and ask him what you can do to help, or get a
> new version of pgsql, apply the patch included in this email, and report
> back to us what happens). Nothing gets done by people continously asking
> for something to be done. And anyway, porting to the alpha, a 64bit
> architecture is not simple to say the very least. Add to that, a very
> large (I think 100k+ lines of code has been stated before) and powerful
> database to port, and things reach the near impossible point. We will get
> it figured out in due time, but we don't have 50 programmers working away
> at this all day long. Then again, you are not paying anything for the
> database. So I think things are fair. :)

I totally understand where you're coming from, however, I wrote over 4
months ago reporting the problem, and was kind of brushed off like it was
a non-issue, and I reported it twice.  Same thing twice.  Finally, I raise
hell about it and I get a response.  I'm not impatient.  I am currently
using msql for what I need and it seems to be getting the job done.  I
just need somethimg much more powerful.  PostGres is much more powerful.

I'm trying to help, but the first message I get was from some idiot on
this list who told me to fix the problem myself and quit whining.  I don't
take kindly to people who write messages like those to me, especially when
I'm trying to help resolve an issue with the coders.  I don't deserve to
be treated with this disrespect, and I never shoot back at any question I
get - the most I'll do is delete the message and bite my damn tongue.

So, now that you understand my position, I just wanted an update, and
wanted to help fix the problem.

> PS. Kenji, where did you get that pgsql would be running on Linux/Alpha in
> Jan '98? I have never seen any such projected date!

One of the coders told me this privately.  I wish I had saved that
message!

-- Ken
------
      Houston InterWeb Design, Inc.     ||      Office: +1 (713) 627-9494
      Lead Programmer/Designer          ||         Fax: +1 (713) 627-2744
      C++, Windows, and Web Programming ||       Pager: +1 (713) 727-2529
               Home page URL: http://www.houston-interweb.com/