Re: [HACKERS] PostGreSQL v6.2.1 for Linux Alpha - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ryan Kirkpatrick
Subject Re: [HACKERS] PostGreSQL v6.2.1 for Linux Alpha
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 15 Feb 1998, Kenji T. Hollis wrote:

> Ryan:

> I totally understand where you're coming from, however, I wrote over 4
> months ago reporting the problem, and was kind of brushed off like it was
> a non-issue, and I reported it twice.  Same thing twice.  Finally, I raise
> hell about it and I get a response.  I'm not impatient.  I am currently
> using msql for what I need and it seems to be getting the job done.  I
> just need somethimg much more powerful.  PostGres is much more powerful.

    I remember the two - three times you have posted to the list
requesting information about running pgsql on Linux/Alpha. Each time I
responded (politely) that it was in the works, but it was slow going due
to lack of pgsql hackers with Alphas and Alpha experience. If you had
wanted more information then, or felt you were brushed off, why did you
rarely ever respond to my responses with more than a few words of
acknowledgement? Not to pick bones here or anything, but I am just trying
to put the record straight and defend those who have been trying to get
the alpha port working.
    Also, I am also currently using msql on my UDB until pgsql gets
finished being ported. That is one of the initial reasons I got myself
involved in this, I wanted a real (free) RDBS database for my UDB. So,
since the pgsql hackers appeared to be "Alpha"less I jumped in and tried
to help as best I could.

> I'm trying to help, but the first message I get was from some idiot on
> this list who told me to fix the problem myself and quit whining.  I don't
> take kindly to people who write messages like those to me, especially when
> I'm trying to help resolve an issue with the coders.  I don't deserve to
> be treated with this disrespect, and I never shoot back at any question I
> get - the most I'll do is delete the message and bite my damn tongue.

    First, let me say in the "Open Source Software" community (yes,
notice the new name for free software), there is only a gray fuzzy line
between the coders and the users. Here we don't ask coders to do something
for us. Instead we ask if they have any plans/ideas on how to do something
we want. If they don't, then it is our responsiblity to pitch in and do
the modifications ourself. I would much rather have a piece of software
that requires some coding on my part if they source is open and free to
all.
    And as for the disrespectful messages, give them a break, they had
probably had a bad day (or maybe you did :). If it happens in a regular
pattern, then there is a problem. A one time occurance is not worth
worrying over.

> So, now that you understand my position, I just wanted an update, and
> wanted to help fix the problem.

    Good, now that we got this mess aired out, we can get back to the
important things, that is the actual port. Though in the future, kindly
post a query for an update and in a little while (day or two maybe, we are
all busy I am sure) you should recieve a response. Also, this project is
so huge, that often the left hand does not know what the foot is doing.
And to make matters worse, when the right hand asks about something that
the foot is doing, the left hand jumps in to try and save the day,
thinking that this is something totally new and undealth with. I think you
get the picture. Just be patient I think is the best advice here.

> > PS. Kenji, where did you get that pgsql would be running on Linux/Alpha in
> > Jan '98? I have never seen any such projected date!
>
> One of the coders told me this privately.  I wish I had saved that
> message!

    So do I! Though there is/was a rumor that old versions (pre 6.0)
versions of pgsql ran fine on Linux/Alpha. But then again Linux/Alpha has
only been around for about 1.5 years, and so the entire platform is rather
young and still a bit unstable and changing.

    Anyway... back to hacking! :)

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                     |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)    |
|  Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  | rkirkpat@nag.cs.colorado.edu  |
|               http://www-ugrad.cs.colorado.edu/~rkirkpat/                |