Re: Decreasing WAL size effects - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Decreasing WAL size effects
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Jason Long wrote:

> I also have to ship them off site using a T1 so setting the time to
> automatically switch files will just waste bandwidth if they are still going
> to be 16 MB anyway.

The best way to handle this is to clear the unused portion of the WAL file
and then compress it before sending over the link.  There is a utility
named pg_clearxlogtail available at
http://www.2ndquadrant.com/replication.htm that handles the first part of
that you may find useful here.

This reminds me yet again that pg_clearxlogtail should probably get added
to the next commitfest for inclusion into 8.4; it's really essential for a
WAN-based PITR setup and it would be nice to include it with the
distribution.