Decreasing WAL size effects - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason Long
Subject Decreasing WAL size effects
Date
Re: Decreasing WAL size effects  (Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com>)
List pgsql-general
I am planning on setting up PITR for my application.

It does not see much traffic and it looks like the 16 MB log files switch about every 4 hours or so during business hours.
I am also about to roll out functionality to store documents in a bytea column.  This should make the logs roll faster.

I also have to ship them off site using a T1 so setting the time to automatically switch files will just waste bandwidth if they are still going to be 16 MB anyway.

1.  What is the effect of recompiling and reducing the default size of the WAL files?
2.  What is the minimum suggested size?
3.  If I reduce the size how will this work if I try to save a document that is larger than the WAL size?

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.
Thank you for your time,

Jason Long
CEO and Chief Software Engineer
BS Physics, MS Chemical Engineering