Re: Assert Levels - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Assert Levels
Date
Re: Assert Levels  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Greg Stark wrote:

> This is a good example of why running with assertions enabled on production
> might not be a good idea. But it's also a good example of why we should do
> our performance testing with assertions enabled if we can do it without
> invalidating the results.

The performance impact of assertions is large enough that I don't think
that goal is practical.  However, issues like this do suggest that running
tests under a very heavy load like those used for performance testing
should sometimes be done with assertions on just to shake bugs out, even
if the actual performance results will be tossed.