Re: Assert Levels - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Assert Levels
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 17:33 -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Greg Stark wrote:
>
> > This is a good example of why running with assertions enabled on production
> > might not be a good idea. But it's also a good example of why we should do
> > our performance testing with assertions enabled if we can do it without
> > invalidating the results.
>
> The performance impact of assertions is large enough

The starting point of this was that the *current* performance impact of
assertions is large enough that we turn them off.

> that I don't think that goal is practical.

So we can't use that as an argument against doing something to enable
the lighter checks in certain circumstances in the future.