Re: [patch] GUC source file and line number] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: [patch] GUC source file and line number]
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 4 Sep 2008, Kevin Grittner wrote:

> Personally, I would take the "Min", "Default", and "Max" to mean what
> Greg intends; it's the "Current" one that gives me pause.

That's the output of current_setting(name) which shows what it is right
now; no more, no less.  See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/sql-show.html and
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/functions-admin.html

That shows the parameter as the admin/usr set it, whereas the "setting"
column in pg_settings displays in terms of the internal units.  Example
session showing how that all fits together:

pg=# select current_setting('work_mem'); current_setting
----------------- 1GB
(1 row)

pg=# set work_mem='256MB';
SET

pg=# select current_setting('work_mem'); current_setting
(1 row)

pg=# select setting,unit from pg_settings where name='work_mem'; setting | unit
(1 row)

Since the word "current" isn't actually in the patch anywhere, and only
appears in that little sample usage snippet I provided, whether or not
it's a good name for that doesn't impact the patch itself.