Re: Sun Talks about MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Sun Talks about MySQL
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> Therefore the claim that the sudden addition of 100 developers who know
> about databases to the MySQL "stable" will result in sudden increases in
> innovation is nonsense.

Adding a bunch of new developers to a project involving a code base they
are unfamiliar with will inevitably reduce short-term reliability.  But
you can't pay attention to anything said by someone who claims any piece
of software has zero bugs anyway; they've clearly lost all touch with
reality and are saying nonsense.  Zack at MySQL might as well have said
that they have magical code fairies who have fixed 5.1 and will continue
to be on board for future releases.

I think it shows how much MySQL has been feeling the pain from the truly
shoddy 5.0 release and its associated quality control issues that they are
publicizing the incredible number of bug fixes they had to do, and flat
out admitting they weren't happy with it.

An interesting data point is they advertise a 10-15% gain in DBT2 results.
I've started thinking about a 2008 update to my "PostgreSQL vs. MySQL"
paper that covers PG 8.3 and MySQL 5.1.  I'd love to have a similar
comparision using that same benchmark of PG8.2->PG8.3.  I recall Heikki
was doing lots of tests with DBT2 for EnterpriseDB comparing those two
releases like that; anybody know of a good summary I could utilize there?
I thought that was one of the benchmarks that got a 20-30% speedup on
going to 8.3 because it really took advantage of HOT in particular.