Re: LDC - Load Distributed Checkpoints with PG8.3b2 on Solaris - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: LDC - Load Distributed Checkpoints with PG8.3b2 on Solaris
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007, Jignesh K. Shah wrote:

> I have tried increasing the bg_lru_multiplier from 2 to 5 from default but I
> dont see any more writes by bgwriter happening than my previous test which
> used the default.

The multiplier only impacts writes being done by the LRU eviction
mechanism; it doesn't change anything related to the checkpoint writes.
In fact, since those LRU writes are going on at the same time as the
checkpoint ones, increasing the multiplier too much can make the
checkpoint I/O spike worse.  It's unlikely that higher values will
decrease the spike.