log connections to database - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Ben K.
Subject log connections to database
Date
List pgsql-admin
Sorry if these are basic questions. It's postgres 8.1 on unix.

1. logging to database
I'd like to log connection authentication info into one of the databases,
(it's ok to be on the same server as production server), but the logging
configuration in postgresql.conf doesn't seem to cover this scenario.

2. checking for permissions
Also, is there a way to get the list of objects a user has any permission
on? If not, other than using aclcontains, is there some type I can cast
relacl to get text to grep from? aclcontains doesn't seem to allow
regex.

3. dropping a role

If the user is not the owner of the object, is the following an intended
behavior, or could it be some misconfiguration on my side? (In fact this
seems to give me the list of objects the user has acl on.)

create group ddd;
grant all on atable to ddd;
\dp atable
public | atable | table | {postgres=arwdRxt/postgres,ddd=arwdRxt/postgres}
drop group ddd;
ERROR:  role "ddd" cannot be dropped because some objects depend on it
DETAIL:
     access to table atable

I couldn't see this from 8.0.

Regards,