Re: pg_stat_activity showing non-existent processes - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_stat_activity showing non-existent processes
Date
List pgsql-admin
"Lane Van Ingen" <lvaningen@ESNCC.com> writes:
> Don't understand the 'target machine' message, either; in this case, we are
> running the application and the database server on the same box.

> 2006-04-04 03:12:05 FATAL:  could not read from statistics collector pipe:
> No error 2006-04-04 03:12:06 FATAL:  could not write to statistics collector
> pipe: No connection could be made because the target machine actively
> refused it.

I think that's Microsoftese for ECONNRESET, ie, the kernel bounced a
packet for lack of any listening process to deliver it to.  The real
question is what's causing the collector to fail (the "could not read").
While it'd be easy to make it retry read attempts, the reason it
considers that FATAL is that it really should never happen.  I'd like
to find out exactly what's happening before we try to fix it.

As Kevin mentioned, adding some more debug printout would be helpful.

            regards, tom lane