Re: TSearch2 Questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: TSearch2 Questions
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, Hannes Dorbath wrote:

> A few stupid questions:
>
> Where to get the latest version?
>
> Is http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/ a dead site and
> the latest versions are always "silently" distributed with PG inside the
> contrib dir?

You should always use tsearch2 distributed with postgresql.
We keep our version for testing purposes. Sometimes we publish backpatches
(from CVS HEAD) for stable releases.

> How can I find out what version of TSearch2 I'm running?
>
> Is there active development?

It's actively developed, see CVS HEAD commits. Main problem attacked is
fully UTF-8 support. Also, we plan some other improvements.
See http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/oddmuse/index.cgi/todo

> Are the patches provided on the site above for backup still needed, or are
> they already included in the versions that ship with 8.0.x? If not, why not?
> =)

All patches already applied .

> Or the better question, are any of those patches listed under "Development"
> included in the version that ships with recent PG versions?

right now, there is no patches you should be aware of. We plan to release
UTF-8 support patch for 8.1 release.

> I'm playing a bit with it ATM. Indexing one Gigabyte of plain text worked
> well, with 10 GB I yet have some performance problems. I read the TSearch
> Tuning Guide and will start optimizing some things, but is it a realistic
> goal to index ~90GB plain text and get sub-second response times on hardware
> that ~4000 EUR can buy?

What's ATM ?  As for the sub-second response times it'd very depend on
your data and queries. It'd be certainly possible with our tsearch daemon
which we postponed, because we inclined to implement inverted indices first
and then build fts index on top of inverted index. But this is long-term
plan.

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83