Re: Should we still require RETURN in plpgsql?

From: Oleg Bartunov
Subject: Re: Should we still require RETURN in plpgsql?
Date: ,
List: pgsql-hackers

Tree view

Should we still require RETURN in plpgsql?  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: Should we still require RETURN in plpgsql?  (Christopher Kings-Lynne, )
 Re: Should we still require RETURN in plpgsql?  (Dennis Bjorklund, )
  Re: Should we still require RETURN in plpgsql?  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: Should we still require RETURN in plpgsql?  (Robert Treat, )
    Re: Should we still require RETURN in plpgsql?  (Tom Lane, )
     Re: Should we still require RETURN in plpgsql?  (Oleg Bartunov, )
      Re: Should we still require RETURN in plpgsql?  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: Should we still require RETURN in plpgsql?  (Terry Yapt, )

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> Robert Treat <> writes:
>> While it is useless in this example, istm it only makes things more
>> confusing to require return in some cases but not in others.  Is there
>> some technical advantage to dropping it?
>
> It's about the same either way as far as the code is concerned.  But
> I've only written a dozen or so plpgsql functions using OUT parameters,
> and I've already found having to write a useless RETURN to be tedious
> (not to mention that I forgot it a couple times).  I don't think I'll be
> the last one complaining if we leave in the requirement.
>
> Basically the requirement exists to make sure you don't forget to define
> the return value.  But when you're using OUT parameters, the existence
> of a RETURN statement has nothing to do with defining the return value.

what if not require RETURN iff OUT parameter is defined ?

>             regards, tom lane

>    (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to )

    Regards,        Oleg
Internet: , http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83