Re: website doc search is extremely SLOW - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: website doc search is extremely SLOW
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, D. Dante Lorenso wrote:

> Dave Cramer wrote:
>
> >Well it appears there are quite a few solutions to use so the next
> >question should be what are we trying to accomplish here?
> >
> >One thing that I think is that the documentation search should be
> >limited to the documentation.
> >
> >Who is in a position to make the decision of which solution to use?
> >

> If I can weigh in on this one I'd just like to say... After all, it IS
> a website for a database.  Shouldn't you be using PostgreSQL for the
> job?  I mean it just seems silly if the PHP.net website were being run
> on ASP.  Or the java.sun.com was run on Coldfusion.  You just can't
> (or SHOULDN'T) use anything other than PostgreSQL, can you?
>
> I think the search engine should be a demo of PostgreSQL's database
> speed and abilities.

I agree with you. That's what we've done for fts.postgresql.org in the past.
We just launched www.pgsql.ru which has indices for 27 postgresql related
resources and search is very fast. But, it doesn't use postgresql - it's
generic full text search engine with crawler. We plan to setup separate
search on archives of mailing lists based on tsearch2.postgresql.

> Dante
> D. Dante Lorenso

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

    Regards,
        Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83