Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
List pgsql-general
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, xzilla@users.sourceforge.net (Robert Treat) wrote:
> On Sunday 04 January 2004 16:46, Paul Ganainm wrote:
>> xzilla@users.sourceforge.net says...
>> > Do you have a link that verifies this?  I hadn't heard this at
>> > all and find it somewhat surprising given their disregard for the
>> > initial complaints...
>>
>> OK, link per se I do not have, but if you look in some of the
>> Firebird (the database) lists, you will find serious complaints -
>> try news.atkin.com if you want to search.
>>
>> Take a look at www.mozilla.org to see how "committed" they are to
>> removing the "Firebird" name from their offering. It should have
>> gone ages ago, they could have even said something like "Mozilla
>> Firebird", but no, it's all Firebird this and Firebird that...
>
> err... i think you misunderstood... I'm was looking for a link to
> show the mozilla folks saying they would stop using the firebird
> name. I've never heard such a thing, while I have heard the
> opposite, and the info you site above only seems to verify that
> mozilla plans to use firebird in the future.

Hmm.  I saw a "Mozilla News" entry last week that suggested that once
the software stabilizes, they would like to rename the packages from
"Mozilla Firebird" to "Mozilla Browser" and from "Mozilla Thunderbird"
to "Mozilla Mail," the 'new' names obviously being a tad more
descriptive.

The continued use of the name "Firebird" by the Mozilla Project
represents a pretty dismaying level of disrespect for other 'open
source' projects.  Others have been more careful, historically.

HylaFax, for instance, is named as it is because they discovered a
previous user of their previous name, "FlexFax."  Of course, the
"previous user" was a commercial enterprise that might even have
registered a trademark.  It is probably a mistake that the founders of
the Firebird project didn't register a trademark...
--
"cbbrowne","@","cbbrowne.com"
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/sgml.html