Backend start-up failed FATAL : non-superuser connection limit exceeded - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephen J Peck
Subject Backend start-up failed FATAL : non-superuser connection limit exceeded
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I am currently using PostgreSQL 7.3.2 on i386-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by
GCC gcc (GCC) 3.2.3.

I'm getting a 'Backend start-up failed FATAL : non-superuser connection
limit exceeded' error and was wondering as too why this occurs.

The only solution I have found to reset the connections is to actually
restart Postgresql.

Could this be that postgres is not releasing connections correctly, for
it seems that it occurs only when there have been frequent restarts of
the application we are working on.

I have had a look with Google for some posted solutions on what this
error actually means or why it occurs, but have been unsuccessful in
retrieving any useful information.

If someone could give me a quick run down of some of the possible causes
of this error, or just a basic explanation of why it occurs I would
really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Steve