Re: Compare strings which resembles each other - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: Compare strings which resembles each other
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Christoph Haller wrote:

> > Hy, I have a table containing some rows. Each row contains a field name
> > which is of type String.
> >
> > For example:
> > in row1 string1 is "Adieu Poulet",
> > in row2 string2 is "Adieu a Poulet",
> > in row3 string3 is "Adiue Poulet",
> > in row4 string4 is "Adieu Pouleet", etc..
> > (That is each string resembles each other a bit, they are somewhat similar
> > to each other)
> >
> > What type of query should I make so as it return me all these string. That
> > is I watn a query which return me strings which are similar or somewhat
> > similar to each other.
> >
> > thanks in advance
> > gulshan
> >
> $PGSQLD/contrib/tsearch/README.tsearch
> is your friend.

I think tsearch(2) isn't what Gulshan need. He needs fuzzy search,
there are several modules in contrib directory (metaphone, fuzzystrmatch).
Also, we have trgm module which uses trigram and has index support.

> Regards, Christoph

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83