confused with encodings - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject confused with encodings
Date
Re: confused with encodings  (Dennis Björklund <db@zigo.dhs.org>)
Re: confused with encodings  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tatsuo,

recently I tried to understand why I can't get sorting works properly
with cyrillic characters  in UTF8 datbase. I figure out the
reason of my confusion - I thought I could specify different encodings
for different databases and these encodings will be used in text operations
(sort, upper,lower), not just for conversion.
But, actually, the only encoding is important for text operations - the one
specified with 'initdb' command ! Is't true ?

If so, it's a big issue :)

After I created separate storage for unicode (initdb -E utf8) and
restarted postmaster I got success with 'order by', but
upper(), lower() functions still fails.
Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83