Re: confused with encodings - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dennis Björklund
Subject Re: confused with encodings
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> I thought I could specify different encodings
> for different databases and these encodings will be used in text operations
> (sort, upper,lower), not just for conversion.

En encoding does not imply any sort order. UTF-8 can be used to store
strings in many languages, each having different sort order (and other
properties). It's the locale that determines these things.

It would be nice to be able to set the locale per database, or even per
column.

--
/Dennis