Re: contrib/tsearch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: contrib/tsearch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> There also seems to be a more complete list of english stopwords here:
>
> http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/idom/ir_resources/linguistic_utils/

Chris, I think we have to separate stop word list from tsearch package and
supply just some defaults. The reason for this is to let user decide what is
a stop word - various domains should have different stop words.
This is how OpenFTS works.
Also, we probably need to let user decide when to check for stop word -
after or before stemming. I'm waiting for Martin's fix for english stemmerr
and probably we'll switch to use snowball one, which are more qualified.

Damn, we wanted to do these and much more a bit later because we're under
big pressure of our work. We'll see if we could manage our plans.

We certainly need developers to help us in full text searching,
ltree ( it has a chance to support XML ). Also we need to work
on adding concurrency support to GiST.

so, I couldn't promise we'll work on tsearch right now, but we provide
makedict.pl so you could build dictionary with custom list of stop words.
Did you try it ?

> However this list again does not include contractions.  I can take this
> list, check it and submit it to you Oleg, but do you want me to add
> contractions?
>
> eg. wasn't, isn't, it's, etc.?

Hmm, our parser isn't smart to handle them as a single word, so
it'll not helps:

13:30:03[megera@amon]~/app/fts/test-suite>./testdict.pl -p
wasn't
lexeme:wasn:1:Latin word
lexeme:':12:Space symbols
lexeme:t:1:Latin word

But, you always could add 'wasn', 'isn' ... and 't','s' to list of your
stop words and be happy. Hmm, probably we could enhance our parser to
handle such words too.

Anyway, most problems just a question of time we don't have :-(

> Chris

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83