Re: user defined data types - help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sathish Vadhiyar
Subject Re: user defined data types - help
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

> You can probably  use array of ints etc. for column types. That may solve one
> of your problem..

If I understand you right, I guess you are suggesting to have a table
corresponding to this structure and each field of this table will be array
of doubles for bandwidths, array of doubles for latency, array of text for
machine names etc.

Let us call this table as MACHINETABLE. And let us call the original table
I was mentioning in my previous mail where I want to store this structure
in a field as the BIGTABLE. So, in this scheme, whenever I want to store
the structure in a field in the BIGTABLE, I will insert a row for the
structure in MACHINETABLE and somehow make the field in the BIGTABLE
point to this row.

Is this the kind of thing you had in mind? Is it possible to have a field
in a table point to a row in another table? In that what should be the
type of the field be?

I was originally thinking of creating a type for the structure and define
some operators on it. I guess it is not possible with the kind of
structure I have?

Thanks.

Sathish S. Vadhiyar
PhD Candidate   Research Assistant, Innovative Computing Laboratory
Computer Science Department
University of Tennessee
Knoxville

Ph: (865)946-4558 (H) , (865)974-6323 (O).