Re: Re: Load a database into memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Poul Laust Christiansen
Subject Re: Re: Load a database into memory
Date
List pgsql-general
You need to specify the memory usage when you start the postmaster.

My /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql script has this line:
 su -l postgres -c "/usr/bin/pg_ctl -D $PGDATA -p /usr/bin/postmaster -o
'-B 4096 -i' start >/dev/null 2>&1"

The -B option tells postgres to use 8KBx4096= 32MB pr. postmaster. The
default value is somewhere around 1MB.

I also have this line in my start script:
echo 104857600 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

Which defines the maximum amount of shared memory.

HTH,
Poul L. Christiansen