Re: Load a database into memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guillaume Lémery
Subject Re: Load a database into memory
Date
Re: Re: Load a database into memory  (Poul Laust Christiansen <poulc@cs.auc.dk>)
List pgsql-general
>   If you have enough RAM, the database will already be in memory, in a
> manner of speaking - your kernel will have all of the files held in disk
> cache.

Ok, but if so, why 10 simultaneous same queries on a well-indexed table with only 500 000 records take a so long time ?
:-/

>> What else should I know about memory with PostGreSQL ?
>

>    You can increase the shared memory, and you can increase the amount of
> memory used for sorts/joins, but I haven't run across much more than that.
> Postgres is just a very memory-efficient piece of work.  I laugh when I hear
> of people using MS's database, and adding gigs and gigs of RAM for even
> modest databases to perform well.  Our server has a half of a gig, and I
> just can't get Postgres to use it all.  I guess I better come up with a few
> more large tables to join to. : )

My server has 1G RAM and yes, I still have 800MB free when PG is running...
But I tried to avoid join or sorts in my queries, so I don't think I
need to tune the amount of memory used for sorts/joins...

Guillaume.