Re: Command names - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Travis Bauer
Subject Re: Command names
Date
List pgsql-general

It would probably be easy to create a link, or a script called pg_XXX that
executes the command XXX.  I'd rather have createdb instead of pg_createdb
just because it's easier to type.  A script that creates the pg_ command
names could be written and made available at someone's web site for people
who wanted it.

Travis Bauer | CS Grad Student | IU |www.cs.indiana.edu/~trbauer

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Keith L. Musser wrote:

> I know all of you are accustomed to the command line interface for pgsql.  (Of course, some of you created it!)
However,I'd be interested if anyone else feels the way I do....

> I would prefer to have a consistent set of names for the commands.  For example,
> I propose the following:
>
> Instead of this            use this.
> createdb                    pg_createdb
> createuser                 pg_createuser
> destroydb                  pg_destroydb
> initdb                        pg_initdb
> initlocation                 pg_initlocation
> pgaccess                   pg_accessgui
> pgadmin                    pg_admin
> pg_dump                   pg_dump
> pg_dumpall                pg_dumpall
> postgres                    pg_single
> postmaster                pg_master
> psql                          pg_access
> vacuumdb                  pg_vacuumdb
> ???                           pg_help (list all these commands)
>

> Not that it is terribly difficult the way it is.  But I simply think that a consistent set of names would help new
users,and help to prevent conflicts with other commands in the PATH.  Any comments?