failed SQL CREATE TABLE - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tim Wilson
Subject failed SQL CREATE TABLE
Date
Re: failed SQL CREATE TABLE  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: failed SQL CREATE TABLE  ("Joshua b. Jore" <josh@greentechnologist.org>)
List pgsql-novice
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to create a database and I'm getting some errors when I try
to create some of the tables. I'm going to post the SQL and the errors
and I'd appreciate it if there's a guru on the list who'd have a look
and let me know where I'm messing up. Everything looks OK to me, but
doesn't it always in situations like this. :-)

Here's the SQL:

CREATE TABLE location (
  location_id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
  room VARCHAR(15),
  location_name VARCHAR(30),
  address VARCHAR(30),
  city VARCHAR(20),
  state CHAR(2),
  zip VARCHAR(10)
);
CREATE TABLE submitter (
  username CHAR(10) PRIMARY KEY,
  first_name VARCHAR(20),
  last_name VARCHAR(30),
  email VARCHAR(40)
);
CREATE TABLE participant (
  participant_id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
  org_name VARCHAR(40),
  activity_name VARCHAR(40)
);
CREATE TABLE event (
  event_id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
  event_name VARCHAR(30),
  location_id INTEGER,
  start TIMESTAMP,
  end TIMESTAMP,
  description TEXT,
  username CHAR(10),
  CONSTRAINT location_exists FOREIGN KEY (location_id)
    REFERENCES location
    ON UPDATE CASCADE
    ON DELETE SET NULL,
  CONSTRAINT username_exists FOREIGN KEY (username)
    REFERENCES submitter
    ON UPDATE CASCADE
    ON DELETE SET NULL
);
CREATE TABLE game (
  our_score INTEGER,
  their_score INTEGER)
  INHERITS (event);
CREATE TABLE tournament (
  finish VARCHAR(15))
  INHERITS (event);
CREATE TABLE meeting (
  agenda_url TEXT,
  minutes_url TEXT)
  INHERITS (event);
CREATE TABLE event_participant (
  event_id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY,
  participant_id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY,
  CONSTRAINT event_exists FOREIGN KEY (event_id)
    REFERENCES event
    ON UPDATE CASCADE
    ON DELETE SET NULL,
  CONSTRAINT participant_exists FOREIGN KEY (participant_id)
    REFERENCES participant
    ON UPDATE CASCADE
    ON DELETE SET NULL
);

And the errors I get:

eventdb=# \i /home/wilson/make_eventdb.sql
psql:/home/wilson/make_eventdb.sql:9: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE will create
implicit sequence 'location_location_id_seq' for SERIAL column
'location.location_id'
psql:/home/wilson/make_eventdb.sql:9: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE/PRIMARY KEY
will create implicit index 'location_pkey' for table 'location'
CREATE
psql:/home/wilson/make_eventdb.sql:15: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE/PRIMARY KEY
will create implicit index 'submitter_pkey' for table 'submitter'
CREATE
psql:/home/wilson/make_eventdb.sql:20: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE will create
implicit sequence 'participant_participant_id_seq' for SERIAL column
'participant.participant_id'
psql:/home/wilson/make_eventdb.sql:20: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE/PRIMARY KEY
will create implicit index 'participant_pkey' for table 'participant'
CREATE
psql:/home/wilson/make_eventdb.sql:37: ERROR:  parser: parse error at or
near "end"
psql:/home/wilson/make_eventdb.sql:41: ERROR:  Relation 'event' does not
exist
psql:/home/wilson/make_eventdb.sql:44: ERROR:  Relation 'event' does not
exist
psql:/home/wilson/make_eventdb.sql:48: ERROR:  Relation 'event' does not
exist
psql:/home/wilson/make_eventdb.sql:60: ERROR:  CREATE TABLE/PRIMARY KEY
multiple primary keys for table 'event_participant' are not allowed

Thanks again for any help anyone can offer.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      |   Visit Sibley online:   | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS |  http://www.isd197.org   | http://www.zope.com