Re: [Novice] questions on pg_hba.conf and stopping - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Chris
Subject Re: [Novice] questions on pg_hba.conf and stopping
Date
List pgsql-novice
>"Juliet May" <jmay@speark.com> writes:
> > The postmaster log says ' "arse_hba: invalid syntax in pg_hba.conf file
> at =
> > line 1, token "trust'
>
>This looks like you've got DOS-style newlines (CR/LF) rather than
>Unix-style (LF only) in the pg_hba.conf file.  The pg_hba code is
>picky about that.  (Probably it shouldn't be, but that won't help you
>today.)
>
> > I edited the pg_hba.conf file in notepad and I think that could be
> causing =
> > the error. Is there another option for editing the file that I should use?
>
>Dunno if Notepad has heard that there are other conventions for line
>endings besides Microsoft's.  Can anyone recommend a better choice of
>editor?

Cygwin has "vi", most likely has emacs too.

There are quite a few editors out there that are a bit more advanced than
notepad, just do a quick search on google :)

      Chris Smith
http://www.squiz.net/

Tel: 02 9568 6866
Fax: 02 9568 6733