Re: When malloc returns zero ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: When malloc returns zero ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 1 May 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> Er, what's wrong with elog(DEBUG)?

Well, it says "DEBUG", not "ERROR", that's all. I'm using this in fact but
it's suboptimal.

> Doesn't the postmaster need to reread the config file itself in order to
> be sure to pass the new values to subsequently-started backends?

Good that you mention that ... :)

> Or is your plan that newly started backends will always parse the
> config file for themselves?  In that case I'm not clear on why you
> care about the postmaster environment at all.

So you can set buffers, max backends, and that sort of static stuff. I
think that each backend reading the config file on startup is
unnecessarily slow.