RE: psql \l error - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject RE: psql \l error
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2 May 2000, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:

> What kind of backward compatibity is required for psql etc..?

I thought psql was some sort of a reference application, so sticking to
prehistoric technology is not necessarily required. For example, outer
joins will simplify psql a great deal but that would really mean it stops
working for everybody else. Not sure.

The knowledge about the system catalogs is already pretty deep so keeping
track of changes across versions is similar to the initdb problem: either
we prohibit version differences outright (I thought that would be too
strict), we let it go until it fails (something that has been eliminated
for initdb), or we provide compabitibility. If someone wants to do the
latter, be my guest.

> Are there any documentations about it ?

Yes.

> Of cource it's preferable that client application/libraries aren't
> tied to a specific version of server application.

I agree. If someone has ideas that are not too ugly to live I'm sure we
could agree on them.