Re: BUG #3894: JDBC DatabaseMetaData.getTables is inconsistently case-sensitive with schema name - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Kris Jurka
Subject Re: BUG #3894: JDBC DatabaseMetaData.getTables is inconsistently case-sensitive with schema name
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, 1 Feb 2008, Adam Hardy wrote:

> it seems to me from what you just said that PostgreSQL server and JDBC driver
> require the schema name to be lower case deliberately, and that any given
> name that is not all lower case is converted to lower case by the server or
> the driver. Am I correct?

Anything that is not quoted is converted to lowercase.  This is contrary
to the SQL spec (it says to convert it to uppercase), but that's unlikely
to change anytime soon.  A JDBC app can portably detect this case by
checking DatabaseMetaData.storesLowerCaseIdentifiers() and adjusting the
other metadata calls appropriately.

Kris Jurka