Re: [ANNOUNCE] == PostgreSQL Weekly News - February 11 2007 == - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeremy Drake
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] == PostgreSQL Weekly News - February 11 2007 ==
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I made some notes about what you said about my patch, just so that I can
be sure that it is clear what it does.

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007, David Fetter wrote:

> == PostgreSQL Weekly News - February 11 2007 ==
>
> == Pending Patches ==
>
> Jeremy Drake sent in a patch which implements regexp_replace with
> multiple atoms,

I don't know what you mean here.  The only change I made to
regexp_replace was fairly incedental: I split out the flag parsing code
so that regexp_matches and regexp_split could use it as well, and in the
process added support for some new flags which before could only be
specified using the metasyntax
(http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/functions-matching.html#POSIX-METASYNTAX).
Also, the error message for invalid flags to regexp_replace changed.  I
did not touch anything relating to what atoms are allowed
(http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/functions-matching.html#POSIX-ATOMS-TABLE).

> regexp_matches, a set-returning function, and
> regexp_split.  Perl weenies rejoice!

regexp_matches will only return a set if the 'g' flag was given.  The
no-flags version is not even declared as set-returning, it just returns a
straight text[].  regexp_split is more of a set-returning function... :)

--
The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of
its capacity -- the rest is overhead for the operating system.