Re: polite request about syntax - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeremy Drake
Subject Re: polite request about syntax
Date
Re: polite request about syntax  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 15 Sep 2006, Dave Page wrote:
> [...]

I hate to comment on what is shaping up to be a bit of a tinderbox of a
thread, but I can't help myself.

When I was first dealing with postgres, I found it extremely annoying that
I had to type out "double precision" rather than just "double" since every
sane programming language (as well as Java) uses double.  I eventually
figured out that it was because double precision is the standard name, but
I don't like to type and although I know I could use float8, I am used to
typing double.

I have found the same thing with the type "timestamp without time zone".
The verbosity of type names seems rather extreme.  But it is just not
important enough to warrant me creating a domain or anything to do
anything about it, it just slightly irks me every time I have to type
them.

I have probably now written more on this than it deserves :)

--
Fertility is hereditary.  If your parents didn't have any children,
neither will you.