The enormous s->childXids problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Theo Schlossnagle
Subject The enormous s->childXids problem
Date
Re: The enormous s->childXids problem  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
I've tracked the problem I mentioned earlier with my 4.5 million node
linked list of s->childXids down.  We use plperl to connect to Oracle
over DBI.  The select function is dbi-link's remote_select.
remote_select will perform the query and then for each row
return_next which calls the SPI.xs stuff to do plperl_return_next
which is wrapped in a PG_TRY block.  I see the value of the try block
to kick back sensible errors to perl, but creating childXids for
every row of a setof seems wildly excessive.  What's the harm in
simply not TRY'ing around there?

I ask with respect to the suitability as general solution and as the
suitability for my acute issue (of a 5 million row setof returned
from that).  Will it break anything?

Best regards,
Theo

// Theo Schlossnagle