Re: Money deprecation and cast problem - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Kris Jurka
Subject Re: Money deprecation and cast problem
Date
List pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, DanixDefcon5 wrote:

> I know that the 'money' type is now deprecated, but I wonder why it is,
> and also ... how was it supposed to cast any other data type to 'money'
> anyway??? I checked the function list, per \df and couldn't find any
> function to do so, even though the money data type is basically an int4
> with the decimal point moved two places to the left. So....
>
> - Why did they deprecate it?

This is not a JDBC question.  The -general list would be more appropriate
for this question.

When dealing with currency you are normally dealing with exact amounts and
should be using the numeric type instead of a wrapper around int.
You shouldn't be able to do:

jurka=# select '$9.99'::money / 10.0;
     $1.00
jurka=# select '$1,000,000'::money * 30;
  -$12,949,672.96

Kris Jurka