Re: SET within a function? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Edmund Dengler
Subject Re: SET within a function?
Date
Re: SET within a function?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
An issue is that I am trying to avoid having another table (to stop the
need for a join (performance reasons)). The NULLs are relatively rare, but
since they can appear, and in certain pathological cases the sequential
scan can take seconds to run, I was hoping for a work-around. But it looks
like I have no real choice in this as there is no way to specify that
NULL == NULL.

Another question: if I have a multi-column index, and one of the values of
a tuple is NULL, is that row not indexed? If it is, how does this jibe
with the "NULLs are not indexed" statements?

Thanks!
Ed

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&frame=right&th=26ef31219ae11442&seekm=3DF52206.5060507%40mascari.com#link6