Re: SET within a function? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: SET within a function?
Date
List pgsql-general
Edmund Dengler <edmundd@eSentire.com> writes:
> ... I have no real choice in this as there is no way to specify that
> NULL == NULL.

The conventional wisdom on this is that if you think you need NULL ==
NULL to yield true, then you are misusing NULL, and you'd better
reconsider your data representation.  The standard semantics for NULL
really do not support any other interpretation of NULL than "I don't
know what this value is".  If you are trying to use NULL to mean
something else, you will face nothing but misery.  Choose another
representation for whatever you do mean.

            regards, tom lane